Welcome to the Dollhouse Media Group's Blog!
Here you will read blogs from all of our Host and Panel of Experts, so check back daily............ You never know who might be in a mood to blog :)

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Travel Tips by Bosslady Day

With my Aruba trip approaching fast......I just wanted to give you some tips on how to travel!

I have two ways of categorizing my trips. They are listed as majors and minis.
Of course, they sound just like the words they are titled after. Majors are
"big" trips and minis are "small or quick" getaways.

Major Trips: This trip is usually defined as going someplace that consists of
more than 500 miles and for a duration of 5-10 days (or even international
travel). Because of the extent of the trip, it is determined a minimum of 1 year
prior to leave. That allows much planning to take place, (for example: searching
for the best deals in lodging, airfare, car rental, etc.). I have certain days
of the week that I know to look for deals (Sunday - Tuesday/possible Wednesday,
though I do not exclude the other days for deals may arise, but my experiences
over the years have been Sunday - Tuesday/possible Wednesday). Since this trip
was already decided ahead of time, when it comes to the monetary portion, that
is set aside in order to immediately take advantage of the deal. But once again,
without planning, you cannot find these great deals that are readily available.

Mini Trips: Minis are needed to rejuvenate the mind, body and soul. A mini trip
can be going to a local bed and breakfast (right outside the heart of the city
you live in) to a city within the US and the duration is for a "weekend". It
usually combines two factors: a short period of time and during a weekend. Now a
mini trip weekend could be Friday - Sunday, but I have found that a fulfilling,
mini trip weekend is Thursday (evening/night) - Monday (before or the break of
the dawn). "Why is that the case?" you might ask. Those days are not considered
a peak time for airlines and hotels. They usually think you are still at work
and would not consider taking a mini trip, on a Thursday. Well, you know
otherwise.

Finally, planning starts at home. What I mean by that is you have to set rules
(like budgeting, your dos and don't s while planning, NO Red bottoms or Louie
bags) for yourself before just leaping out there. If you know ahead of time that
you will be traveling and you truly want to enjoy yourself, make sure everything
is squared away (or close to it) at your home base. I have a good friend that
mentioned she would love to travel like I do. When I told her she could, her
response was "I don't have the funds like that". So after we continued to talk
about the "funds", it was concluded that my friend, goes out every weekend and
easily spends a number of high valued bills on these outings... (every weekend).
So then I said, "would you commit to not going out for a few weeks and if you
would, guess what, you now have the "funds" to take a trip." The funny thing is,
my friend who is highly intelligent, just overlooked that little simple idea
because the two thoughts never had a visible linkage. And now, she travels...a
lot, and still has the ability to hit up favorite spots with me on the weekend.
That extra change you wish to have in your pocket when you travel can come from
not doing your "regular" routines (for a short period of time). Another example:
ever thought about not eating out for two weeks, and saving your money? Go to
the grocery store and purchase food to cook. When you alter the small,
routinely, things, (that really take up much of your funds), you can apply those
funds towards your trips. Either way, it is the preparation of it all that
allows for one to experience the "art of travel". Make 2010 the year you
implement plan and enjoy your upcoming trip.

1 comment:

  1. you are so right thanks for the tips maybe no i will try to do this i need to spoil my self sometimes and stop helping others where it keeps me fromdoing for myself and my kids no more i need to travel more and these tips willhelp me for 2011 thanks boo

    ReplyDelete